Backend Lead Software Engineer
While we’re a technology-driven company, we believe that people and trusted relationships matter. We believe in empowering people rather than “disrupting” them. Our singular mission is to create the future of work for this massive industry.
We believe breakout growth creates breakout opportunities and diversity drives innovation.
About the team
We build products for 3 user groups – our clients, brokers, and the servicing team.
Clients: We need to design a product that makes their current insurance coverage extremely clear and makes it quick and easy for them to request an update their coverage, get help, or make a claim.
Brokers: We want to help them turn leads into sales. Insurance brokers are like a sales team in a traditional SaaS company. They need a dashboard that clearly communicates the status of all of their clients, tracks their leads, and shows incoming revenue.
Servicing team: This team includes account managers and operations specialists responsible for providing stellar service to our clients.
What you’ll work on
- Lead the development of product features: You’ll be involved during product discovery and you’ll contribute to the technical design process. You are product-minded and able to collaborate with a Product Manager to define the product roadmap and vision. You’ll be responsible for speccing and guiding your team in building out features and infrastructure.
- Shape business processes: As we are a technology-enabled brokerage, we are looking for new ways to improve business processes by using technology. You will become the expert on how an area of the business functions and work directly with stakeholders to build optimizations.
- Define technical direction: You will help shape the technical vision and roadmap for a large area of the product. You will also influence best practices and introduce new technologies when appropriate. You’ll need to clearly communicate your vision with the team to gain support and a shared understanding of the technologies.
- Mentor other engineers: You will working with more junior engineers on your team to help them grow and develop their skills.
- 5+ years of engineering experience. You have previous success developing and shipping a large-scale application with a user-empathetic mindset
- 2+ years of experience leading an engineering team. You have proven abilities in providing technical direction for a small to medium team of engineers.
- You’re product-minded. You take initiative to understand production intention, team goals, business context, and user problems to propose improvements, eliminate gaps, and reduce risk in the project. You contribute to and drive the teams roadmap with product and design. You meet with stakeholders across the company when needed to eliminate gaps in your knowledge. You work closely with design to make sure that a design is able to be built and that it has a logical system behind it.
- Security-minded. You have a detailed understanding of security protocols like OAuth2/OIDC/JWT. You understand client-side cookie authentication and JWT. You should have an understanding of front-end security risks and how to mitigate them.
- In-depth knowledge of microservice/cloud and enterprise architecture patterns. You have a track record of success in architecting and building distributed applications, preferably in the cloud. You design for efficiency, reliability, and resiliency and know when to make trade-offs between them. You have experience with messaging/pub-sub systems such as SNS/SQS, ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ, or something else comparable
Nice to haves
- Proficiency in NodeJS and Typescript
- Experience with Dependency Injection Frameworks
- Understanding of containerization technologies such as Docker
- Experience deploying services in AWS using terraform
Some of the Technologies We Use
- AWS SNS/SQS
- AWS ECS